Re: trigger question

From: Thomas J Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/04/03

Almut Herzog <al-her_at_sectra.se> wrote:

>Thomas J Kyte wrote:
>>
>> Have you looked at database alerts (dbms_alert). They are transactional and
>> work somewhat like unix signals. If a trigger fires an ALERT and rollbacks, the
>> ALERT does not get sent. If the trigger fires an ALERT and commits, the alert
>> will get sent. You can use dbms_pipes (to send out large chunks of information)
>> to a process that is waiting for an alert to tell him whether to throw it away
>> or to keep it and process it. Or, you can just use ALERTS (they allow you to
>> send upto 2k of stuff with the event itself).

>Yeah,
>but try sending several ALERTs and commit then. Hooray, only the last ALERT is
>sent because ALERTs cannot be queued!

Hence my comment about them working like unix signals :).... An alert is to tell you that an event has occurred. Pipes are to send lots of stuff. Put the two together and you can notify someone that Pipe X or Pipe Y has a lot of stuff to read.

>--
>Almut Herzog
>SECTRA Secure Transmission AB e-mail: al-her_at_sectra.se
>Teknikringen 2 voice: ++46 13 235221
>583 30 Linkoping fax: ++46 13 212185
>Sweden

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government

opinions and statements are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation. Received on Wed Apr 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message