URGENT : database down at 01-APR-96 10:32:00

From: Jeff B <jeffb_at_sky.net>
Date: 1996/04/02

Kevin Johnson Serco DPE/IO <johnson_at_mail.esrin.esa.it> wrote:

>Dear All,

>This morning I found I could not start one of our databases :

> - ora-01116 error in opening datafile

>Indeed, I had a look and found that the file was missing.

>I asked one of my colleagues if he had seen it anywhere,
>but he had been busily purging his old EMAILs and so
>hadn't noticed it.

>Anyway , as luck would have it, he told me that he had a
>spare data file on one of his databases, and that I could have it,
>on condition that if he ever needed it in future I would return it.

>Better than nothing I thought, so I put the file onto my machine
>in the correct directory with the correct name.

>Still the database refused to start :
> - ora-01159 - file is not from same database - wrong database id

>So edited the file and changed the bit where Oracle records
>the ID.

>Next I got :
> - ora-01113 - file needs media recovery.

>I complained to my colleague, after all it was a little bit unfair of him
>to give me a file that needed recovery.

Fire him/her!

>But after discussion with him, we realised that some outstanding transactions
>existed is his database. Since it had taken ages to copy the data file ,
>we decided to copy his log files + plus a clever bit of SQL to copy the contents
>of his rollback segments into the ones in my database.

>It still wouldn't do 'startup normal',
>so we finally resorted to to 'startup abort'.
>Obviously, we got the thing up, but some previously good programs
>are now giving errors like they can't find the tables or indexes
>(is this a bug?).

No! They are undocumented features!

>Anyway, back to work ; I am still busily running sql updates against
>the data dictionary to try and fix some of the errors.

>Has anyone else had any similar experiences (today) ?

No, but I liked Gerald Pile's recommendation for adding a second row to the "dual" table for occasions such as yesterday (4/1)...

>Kevin
> | / _ o _ | _ | _ _ _ _ _ EMAIL : johnson_at_mail.esrin.esa.it
> || /_|\ /||/ | |/ \|/ ||/ ||_ / \|/ | PHONE : (+39) 6 941 80 633
> | \\__ \/ || | \_/\_/| || |__|\_/| | ADDRESS : European Space Agency
> Via Galileo Galilei
> Information Administrator Frascati 00044 ITALIA.

Hey! I have a couple of "spare" datafiles lying around if they would be of help to you. (Of course this *is* the 2nd, now...but I am just a little bit late, ok?) Received on Tue Apr 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message