Re: What's this: ORA-01123: cannot start online backup; media recovery not enabled

From: <mlanda_at_vnet.ibm.com>
Date: 1996/04/02

In <31617667.3114_at_macromedia.com>, Richard Headrick <rheadric_at_macromedia.com> writes:
>Can anyone tell me why this happens when I try to do a hot backup?
>
>SQLDBA> alter tablespace TS01 begin backup;
>ORA-01123: cannot start online backup; media recovery not enabled
>SQLDBA>
>

>Best regards,
>
>Rich Headrick

This message is telling you that can't do a hot backup of your database running in No Archive Log Mode. A requirement for hot backups is that your database is running in Archive Log Mode. The Administrator's Guide has information on how to start your database in archive log mode. If for some reason you don't need or want archiving active your only backup alternative is a cold backup.

M.Landa Received on Tue Apr 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message