Re: WANTED : the sqlnet protocol

From: Stan Driggs <stan_at_ensco.com>
Date: 1996/04/02

Hugo Toledo, Jr. wrote:

> mark rostron wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone please advise if the sqlnet protocol is published anywhere? mr
>
> With SQL*Net release 2.3 you get SQL*Net OPEN, an API which allows you to
> use the Transparent Network Substrate (TNS) to communicate using,
> effectively, SQL*Net. Even better, the very simple implementation, only
> four functions, works transparently with all TNS applications
> including Oracle Names, Oracle MultiProtocol Interchange, and Secure
> Network Services.

An API is fine, but what if you need access to Oracle from unsupported platforms (which don't have the API library available)? What you need is the Sql*Net *network* protocol (port numbers, message contents, etc.). If this information is available, which I doubt, you could then write your own interface to Sql*Net.

So, can anyone please advise if the sqlnet protocol is published anywhere?

IMHO, it would be easier to write your own client/server protocol, with the server using dynamic SQL or OPI to process requests for data. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Stan

Stan Driggs                        ENSCO, Inc.
Sr. Systems Engineer               ISS Division
Email: stan_at_ensco.com              1277 Taylor Rd.
Voice: (607) 751-5502              Owego, NY 13827
FAX : (607) 687-4733