Re: Personal Oracle 7

From: Jerry Helms <jhelms_at_nando.net>
Date: 1996/04/02

issame_at_intercenter.net (Issam Elbaytam) wrote:

>I have just installed PORA7 WIN95, It detected IPX/SPX, Named Pipes, and
>TCP/IP Loopback(???) and installed them. My SQLNet was configured
>automatically and the database started up OK with SQLPLUS logging into server
>2 as scott/tiger.

>I installed Intersolv ODBC 32-bit drivers for Oracle which are supposed to
>work with W95 and NT.

>From VB I enter select "ODBC;" as connection string. ODBC Login screen comes
>up, I select server 2 and scott/tiger, I get back an error ORA-12xxx TNS ???.
>I noticed that Oracle starts up my internet service dial-up when I start the
>database or when I try loggin into it from ODBC. I have no idea how any of
>this works. There is no Oracle.INI to set the SQLNET DBNAME which is what I'm
>used to connecting to oracle 7.1 from VB3 using OO4O.

>the TCPIP Loopback is explained as a connection to an oracle remote server
>with ip "127.0.0.1" and named orcl. where is that? do I need to set up??

>Any one tried my exact same configuration and successfully logged in using
>ODBC to Personal Oracle 95.

>-=issam=-

The database connect string in the ODBC setup should refer to the internal database name which is specified in the tnsnames.ora file. The tnsnames.ora file is stored in ...\sqlnet\admin I think. There should be a sample *.ora to look at. Received on Tue Apr 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message