Access 95 ODBC link to Oracle on NT3.51

From: Roger Austin <rmau_at_wlsg003>
Date: 1996/04/01

I'm running Access 95 on Windows NT3.51 (with the new shell) and trying to link to Oracle 7.1.4 on an HP server using ODBC and SQL*Net 1.1, so far with no joy.

I'm using the latest ODBC 2.5 driver kit downloaded from Microsoft (download file GE1263.EXE) which includes an Oracle driver from Visigenic. (I believe this is the kit distributed with Visual Basic 4.0 and Visual C++ 4.0). I've also downloaded the latest beta of Openlink's Oracle driver. Using the 32-bit ODBC administrator, I have set up two data sources for my Oracle database connection, one using each driver.

Both data sources function correctly (but imperfectly in the case of the Visigenic driver) when used from the 16-bit Microsoft Query, and from the 32-bit ODBC Test program, but they fail when used from Access 95 or from any of the ODBC samples built using Visual C++ 4.0.

I've played around extensively with ODBC call logging and ODBC spy, but all I am able to determine is that they fail during the call to SQLDriverConnect. The Visigenic driver reports an unsupported connect option, and the Openlink driver reports that the data source refused the connection (it also does this if you enter an incorrect host name in the SQL*Net connect string, so this isn't particularly informative).

If anyone has successfully linked Access 95 on NT3.51 to an Oracle server I would be interested to know which ODBC drivers were used, and how the system was configured. An email reply would be appreciated.

Thanks

Roger Austin
Institute of Hydrology
<R.Austin_at_ioh.ac.uk> Received on Mon Apr 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message