Re: ps -ef |grep ora HELP!!

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1996/04/01

In article <4jovig$nbf_at_news.aimnet.com>, bfntd_at_aimnet.com (Tony Damon) writes:
|> Scott Urman (surman_at_oracle.com) wrote:
|>
|> [snip]
|>
|> : These are Oracle shadow processes, started when a user process connects to
|> : the database. The DESCRIPTION means that these are connections using SQL*Net
|> : version 2, specificly the V2 bequeath adapter (the PROTOCOL part). This is
|> : the default adapter when you are connecting to a database on the same
|> : machine as your program. Try connecting with a connect string of 'p:' which
|> : will use the V1 pipe driver instead, and see what the process list says.
|> : --
|>
|> Hmmm, I wonder if you could elaborate on the V1/V2 aspect. Are you
|> saying the unix pipe driver is using V1 sqlnet? Example, here's the
|> process that gets started when I use sqlplus on the same machine
|> that has the instance:
|> oracle 8828 8827 31 08:12:39 ? 0:00 oracleCMP P:4096,8,11,
|>
|> Is this using V1? How can I make it use V2 ( and MTS )? Change the
|> entry in the PROTOCOL part of TNSNAMES.ORA, LISTENER.ORA ??
|>
|> Thanks,
|> Tony Damon

Yep. This is a V1 connect. To use V2, you would have to have it installed, which then puts it into the library (libsqlnet.a, I believe). If you then relink your application, it should connect using the V2 bequeath adapter, which replaces the V1 pipe driver, by default. This is assuming that you don't use an explicit connect string (such as p:) in the application or that you don't have TWO_TASK set to a string. I'm not a real SQL*Net expert, but I believe this is the case.

--
Scott Urman
"The opinions expressed here are my own, and are not necessarily that of