Re: MS-Access to Oracle

From: Kurt Batsel <batsel_at_dns.nxus.com>
Date: 1996/04/01

Bernard Lee wrote:

> Darrell_Coons_at_.mc.xerox.com (Darrell Coons) wrote:
>
> >I'm sure this has been answered before, but being new to this game I'll
> >ask it again:

> >How do I convert an MS-Access table to Oracle? Is there a way to export
> >from Access into a format that can be directly imported into Oracle?
>
> You will need ODBC and SQLNET installed. This needs setting up with a
> connection string to attach you to the Oracle system. From here
> simply export the tables as <SQL Database> - select table and login.
>
> You may want an Oracle administrator to setup index and primary keys
> on the Oracle table, as well as update triggers to speed the
> processing of adding searches etc.
>
> hope this helps
>
> Steve and Bernard
> Manchester, England

When reading your note, I could not help but post in regard to this problem I have been having with Access. I have been trying to attach to a U.S. EPA database using MS Access and would be grateful for any help that can be provided. Here is the procedure I have used to try and attach ....

  1. I started by pointing my browser to:

http://www.epa.gov/enviro/html/faq.html

2) I accessed the FAQ here and read this text:

> snipped from EPA home page....Question: How can I access the ENVIROFACTS database via the internet and
what software do I need to do so?

Answer: The ENVIROFACTS database can be accessed by any application that can communicate with an ORACLE database. There are several database querying and reporting products available. In the Microsoft Windows environment, products are available from a variety of sources, for example Borland, Gupta, IQ Software, Microsoft, ORACLE Corp., Q+E, etc. These products represent a range of capabilities from point and click querying to direct entry of Structured Query Language (SQL) statements.

In addition to a database querying or reporting application, you will also need:

  1. SQL*NET for TCP/IP from ORACLE corporation; and
  2. TCP/IP access to the internet.

[Microsoft Windows based applications from vendors other than ORACLE Corporation, may also require Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) drivers for an ORACLE Version 7 database from the vendor of the application.]

*The TCP/IP software may be 'loaded' for you by your Internet access provider when you initiate your connection. This happens, for example, if you have a SLIP connection to the Internet. ]

Once the necessary software has been installed on your workstation, you will need to provide the connection and identification information about ENVIROFACTS to your application. While the exact format of this information will vary from product to product, the following should suffice for all applications:

Database server: earth1.epa.gov
Database name: enviro
Username: enviro
Password: enviro

3) Then I went to the oracle home page:

http://www.oracle.com/

and downloaded this Oracle Driver:

Oracle ODBC Driver for Rdb size=9451 bytes

4) I then installed and configured the Oracle driver as follows:

Data Source Name:	enviro
Server:			earth1.epa.gov
Class:			generic
User ID:		enviro
Attach Statement:	t:envirofacts.sql.gov.enviro

5) When I launch MS Access with Win Sock loaded and try to import or attache tables using the configured driver, I get an error code that indicates there is a block to attaching to the EPA tables.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Received on Mon Apr 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message