Re: Network Manager 3.0 and SQL*Net 2.1 -- incompatible ??

From: Hugo Toledo, Jr. <hugo_at_mcs.net>
Date: 1996/03/30

Chris Little wrote:

> Network Manager 3.0 for MS Windows 3.1.1 was distributed on CD with
> SQL*Net 2.2.3. This combination works fine for me. However, for other
> reasons our company must stick with SQL*Net 2.1. So far I haven't been
> able to get Network Manager 3.0 to work with SQL*Net 2.1. I forget the
> exact error. Also, I haven't been able to get files generated with
> Network Manager 3.0 on one PC (TNSNAMES.ORA, etc.) to work on a
> different PC that has SQL*Net 2.1 working on it.

When you say you can't get Network Manager to work with SQL*Net 2.1 just what exactly do you mean? It can't open the *.ORA file? Or it can't work with Oracle Names version 1? When you start Network Manager 3.0 it doesn't attempt to go across the network until you try fetching from the database or using it to launch something like Server Manager or one of the controllers such as namesctl or intctl.

What level of SQL*Net 2.1 is it? Are you *sure* it is 2.1 of SQL*Net and not 2.0 of SQL*Net and 2.1 of Network Manager. SQL*Net prior to 2.1 has a different format for its configuration files. As a result you must use NETCONV to convert the format for use with Network Manager 3.0.

--
Hugo Toledo, Jr.   Author of "Oracle Networking" from Oracle Press
312.951.8012               Oracle WebSystem - Oracle Mobile Agents