Re: Boilerplate text disappears etc. (Forms 4.5 / Solaris 2.4)

From: Craig <caharper_at_hooked.net>
Date: 1996/03/22

Michael Gertz wrote:

> We are running Oracle Forms (Developer2000) Version 4.5.6.1.0 on
> Solaris 2.4 using the Oracle 7 Server Release 7.1.3.0.0. (The
> developer Home Directory is different from $ORACLE_HOME, i.e. we have
> a client installation for Forms4.5)
>
> 1)
> During the development of a form we often run into the problem that
> __all__ boilerplate texts get lost. In a previously saved version the
> boilerplate texts appear normally.
>
> After a __few__ changes and saving the .fmb file again, all the
> boilerplate texts are lost. They are even vanished from the .fmb
> file!!! Furthermore the size of the .fmb file changes drastically.
>
> From that point it is impossible to further insert boilerplate texts
> such that is it shown after generating (and saving) the form.
>
> We have tried to identify the critical design steps which cause this
> behavior, but it is impossible to identify any critical design
> pattern.
>
> It seems that also the .fmb file is damaged after this erroneous
> behavior. Nearly at all of the attempts to continue, the designer
> then crashes (with a core dump).
>
> We have tried several possibilities to determine some reasons for that
> behavior, but it failed.
>
> 2)
> Another problem is the changing size of the .fmb file. Loading a .fmb
> file, performing a __few__ changes (e.g. putting some comments into a
> procedure text) and saving the modified form results in a .fmb file
> that has a drastically increased size (e.g., from 300k to 480k!). Reloding
> such a .fmb file again always results in a segmentation fault of the
> f45desm.
>
> Who has made similar experinces with this version of Forms?
>
> Many thanks for any comments.
>
> Michael Gertz
> --
> |=====================================================================|
> | Michael Gertz | Phone: ++49(+511)762-4960 |
> | Institut fuer Informatik | Fax : ++49(+511)762-4961 |
> | Universitaet Hannover | |
> | Lange Laube 22 | |
> | D-30159 Hannover, Germany | Email: mg_at_informatik.uni-hannover.de |
> | http://www.informatik.uni-hannover.de/WWW/dbis/personen/mg.html |

The problem is fixed in forms 4.5.6.3.3, in the mean time don't save your FMB files to the database, save them to the filesystem, this should help solve your problem. Oracle knows about this bug, but I forget the number.

--

Craig Harper
IFTN

Thinking is more interesting than knowing,
but less interesting than looking.