Re: Creating a database

From: David Stark <stark_at_greenwich.com>
Date: 1996/03/20

In article <31502B22.41C67EA6_at_pia.bt.co.uk> Paul Taylor <ptaylor_at_pia.bt.co.uk> writes:
>Does anyone out there know of the best method to run two databases
>concurrently, using one for the evelopment of our sofware whilst the
>other is kept for the current release of software that we are using?
>
>Due to the software we inherited the pro-c has the tablespace hard
>coded, so it is not a simple case of creating a new tablespace within
>the database.
>
>If possible I would like to have both data bases running at the same
>time, but I suspect that I will have to shut one down and start the
>other up if I am to use the same hard code.

Create a second instance using the same $ORACLE_HOME.

We do this for Oracle Financils with instances called PROD and TEST. Both instances have exactly the same objects with the same names.

The same program, without changes, can be run against either instance, just change the $ORACLE_SID to point to the instance you want to use.

--
David Stark          	   *	Opinions expressed in this post are those of
stark_at_greenwich.com 	   *	the author and do not in any way represent