Re: Personal Oracle 7

From: Keith Majkut <kmajkut_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1996/03/15

In article <4i61p3$8rg_at_galileo.intercenter.net>, Issam Elbaytam <issame_at_intercenter.net> wrote:
>I have just installed PORA7 WIN95, It detected IPX/SPX, Named Pipes, and
>TCP/IP Loopback(???) and installed them. My SQLNet was configured
>automatically and the database started up OK with SQLPLUS logging into server
>2 as scott/tiger.
>
>I installed Intersolv ODBC 32-bit drivers for Oracle which are supposed to
>work with W95 and NT.
>
>From VB I enter select "ODBC;" as connection string. ODBC Login screen comes
>up, I select server 2 and scott/tiger, I get back an error ORA-12xxx TNS ???.
You are now using SQL*Net V2. Aliases are not like the old days of V1. Either run the SQL*Net Easy Config included with PO7 or edit the file \orawin95\network\admin\tnsnames.ora. Once you look at the entries in the file it will become obvious as to what a sqlnet V2 connect string looks like.

>I noticed that Oracle starts up my internet service dial-up when I start the
>database or when I try loggin into it from ODBC. I have no idea how any of
This is not a bug with Oracle, but a feature of some vendor's WINSOCKs. Here's the scoop:
When starting the database, Oracle SQL*Net DLLs will be loaded (if present). The loading of these DLLs may cause Win95 to invoke up the dial-up dialog, even if other network connections exist. If you have setup Win95 for network access over a modem, have specified automatic dialing, and try to use networking then the modem dial-up connection dialog box(es) will automatically come up. This will happen with any software, not just PO7Win95 (try ping.exe from a DOS-Prompt, for example). The key is the automatic dialing option. If this is enabled then modem dial-up boxes will display. This will happen even if the PC is connected to a LAN and will not be using a modem.
The automatic dialing option can be set in various Win95 applications, but the one which seems to be the most common is the Microsoft Internet Browser (which of course uses TCP/IP). To disable the automatic dialing option go to the Windows 95 Control Panel, open the Internet item and un-check the ‘Use AutoDial check box. This should take care of the problem. If the MS Internet Browser is not installed then look for other similar software which may have a similar option.
Basically, your WINSOCK.DLL has been overwritten. You can fix this by restoring the old one and placing the new one in the directory of the offending app. The nice thing about Win32 and DLL loading is that 2 DLLs of the same name can now both be loaded at the same time given a different PATH, because Win32 uses the whole path for the name, not just the 8.3 name(as was the case for Win16).
>this works. There is no Oracle.INI to set the SQLNET DBNAME which is what I'm
ORACLE.INI was used for 16bit Windows tools. These same settings are now in the windows registry. Run REGEDIT and look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ ORACLE. After that it's easy.
>used to connecting to oracle 7.1 from VB3 using OO4O.
>
>the TCPIP Loopback is explained as a connection to an oracle remote server
>with ip "127.0.0.1" and named orcl. where is that? do I need to set up??
A few things here. You don't need to go through sqlnet using the loopback to talk to the database on the current machine. The connect string 2: still works for that. Using the loopback is basically only useful if you want to use Non-Blocking OCI calls since the loopback will allow this, while the 2task connection(when you use 2:) won't allow non-blocking.

ORCL is the instance of the database created by default at install time. ORCL is not the database name. You may want to read up on Oracle and about the diffs between the database and an instance,etc.

>Any one tried my exact same configuration and successfully logged in using
>ODBC to Personal Oracle 95.
>
>-=issam=-

Keith Received on Fri Mar 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message