Re: Oracle on NT...Why Not?

From: Rob Allan <rob.e.allan_at_hydro.on.ca>
Date: 1996/03/13

Jim Kennedy wrote:

> In article <4i1l7g$jqf_at_tin.monsanto.com> mecoru_at_ccmail.monsanto.com (Michael E Corum) writes:
> >From: mecoru_at_ccmail.monsanto.com (Michael E Corum)
> >Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
> >Subject: Re: Oracle on NT...Why Not?
> >Date: 11 Mar 1996 16:43:28 GMT

> >In article <4hoqm8$glk_at_sun630.bentley.com>
> >Sybrand Bakker <Sybrand.Bakker_at_Bentley.nl> wrote:

> >snip...
> >>
> >> Of course, NT is there. When it seems to run fine, occasionally it does provide
> >> problems which are difficult to sort out, because they seem to be dependent on the
> >> interaction between NT and Oracle (and both companies blaming each other for the bug)
> >> There are several reasons why you should at least consider Unix:
> >> -Although the user interface of Unix is not really user friendly, Unix itself should be
> >> considered a stale, well-tested robust OS with minimal overhead (which can't be said of NT)
> >> -One serious disadvantage of NT is that it has no serious batch facilities that can compare to Unix
> >> Cron. There is a batch like facility in Oracle itself, apparently this is no serious alternative
> >> for database wide maintenance jobs, like backup and reindexing.
> >> -Availability of the latest version of Oracle for NT seems to be much much later compared
> >> to Unix. While Oracle 7.2 was announced in the US already in July 95, the NT "port" was available in
> >> January 96, and it still seems not to contain the latest version of every product.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Sybrand Bakker
> >> Senior IS Analyst
> >> Bentley Systems Europe

> >- I have found NT to be AT LEAST as robust if not more robust than UNIX when considering such platforms as SUN,
> >SGI, HP, IBM RS/6000 and SCO.
> >- I like the misspelling that made "stable" into "stale" - Freudian slip???
> >- NT's WINAT batch facility works just fine and is certainly equal to CRON in most respects. You can buy
> >batch packages for NT that go way beyond CRON for cheap.
> >- Oracle recently announced that NT is becoming part of Tier 1 for ports. That means that NT will now get
> >serious support from Oracle and will be among the first set of ports for any new version.
> >- I see no reason to run UNIX any more except in the cases of extreme high-end needs where nothing less than an
> >8-CPU T-500 or a Digital 64-bit ALPHA is needed for huge databases into the Terrabytes with many hundreds or
> >thousands of users.

> >I think it is interesting to see the UNIX people defend there turf. There are two types of people in computing:
> >Those who get married to a technology and stick with it to the bitter end (and the end is bitter), and those who
> >have flexibility to change as technology changes. The second group will sometimes run into minor trouble because
> >they might move too quickly but they will never have a "bitter end".

> [...]

I understand that ORACLE under NT runs as a single process, with threading within the process. Does that allow you to take advantage of a multi-processor?

Any info would be appreciated as we are looking at ORACLE on NT for development work.

--
Rob Allan                       |  rob.e.allan_at_hydro.on.ca
Ontario Hydro                   |  Tel. (416) 592 4195