Re: Migration Advise

From: Chuck Isaacson <ccisaac_at_mtu.edu>
Date: 1996/03/11

I'd suggest changing one thing at a time to limit errors. For example, first upgrade to level 7 on your current platform. Then change platforms, then upgrade the applications. Forms 3.0 runs against level 7 even though support is questionable. Limit exposure and keep it simple.

Larry L. Acklin (lackli01_at_ny.rsc.gmeds.com) wrote:
: I am migrating a character based Oracle v6 application to Oracle v7. The
: current application uses Forms 3.0, Menus 5.0, ReportWriter 1.1,
: PL/SQL 1.0, and SQLPlus 3.0. I am also porting from an AT&T UNIXZ server
: to a SUN UNIX server.
:
: The application needs to continue to be character based. The only access
: to the server is through dial-up even for development.
:
: I am looking for any tips on performing this migration. Should I use the
: windows version of the Developer/2000 with a PC Oracle database for
: development and then port the forms to the UNIX box? Any ideas ?????
:
: Any things I should watch out for?