Re: Remote Install of SQL*Net - Need Ideas

From: R. Wayne Linton, I.S.P. <linton_at_shell.ca>
Date: 1996/03/08

badri wrote:

> Hi:
>
> * We need to install several products for our
> custom product one of which is SQL*Net V1.1 (and/or V2.2) since we are
> going to use Gupta and SQL*Net to talk to ORACLE. What I
> need is a method to install the client side of SQL*Net
> on the 100s of client machines. We would like to see if
> we can use ORACLE installer in batch mode. Has any one been
> able to use this? In other words, we dont want the users
> (who may not be Computer literate) to answer ORACLE Installer's
> questions, we want them to just click on install and the program
> that we hope to have) will call ORACLE installer to do the work.
>
> Is this possible? I was told that ORACLE Client Software
> Manager does something similar, but that is for Developer/2000.
> We want only SQL*Net to be installed.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome,
>
> thanks a lot,
>
> -Badri

making some assumptions about your environment ... If you are on a LAN with Windows, and your clients all load up Windows from the LAN, you can put SQL*Net on the LAN drive and have a Windows installer product load and configure the ORACLE.INI file and others onto the Client machine as required.

--
R. Wayne Linton, I.S.P.
Database and Systems Management