Q: SQL Load vs. Embedded SQL (Pro C) for Updating Large Table

From: Terry Felton <g11176_at_email.mot.com>
Date: 1996/03/06

We have a need to move about 1 million records from an unindexed table into another table each day. The second table contains 15 - 30 million records. We have had to drop the indexes from the first table in order to keep up loading it using a Pro C application, but know that we've just shifted the index delay to when we move the the data into the indexed table.

What are the advantages of SQL Load in this situation? Does it completely lock the receiving table during the load? Is the reindexing significently faster that using embedded SQL? What are the pitfalls of using SQL Load? Might there be other options to consider? Received on Wed Mar 06 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message