Re: Parallel server on IBM SP2? Sparc 2000?

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/03/06

In article <gust-0503961934560001_at_host-95.subnet-40.med.umich.edu>, Gus Teschke <gust_at_umich.edu> writes
>Hi,
>Does anyone out there use the parallel server on an IBM SP2 or Sparc 2000?
>Would you like to discuss your opinions and experience?
>We're considering both platforms. Also, I don't mind hearsay, when
>clearly marked.
> Gus
> gust_at_umich.edu

The two are not directly comparable.

The SP is an MPP (Massively Parallel Processing) machine where each node is a separate CPU. Inter-node communication is through a (very fast) network. To use Oracle on an SP you HAVE to use Parallel Server.

The Sparc 2000 is a SMP (Symmetric Multiprocessing) machine. Vanilla Oracle will run on this. You can use parallel server if you have a cluster of sparcs.

Parallel Query can be used on both.

Are you planning to use Parallel Server for Resilience reasons or power reasons?

If you do not have to use parallel server I would avoid it. Administration is so much more complicated than vanilla oracle.

--
Jim Smith