Re: Please help with Oracle connectivity problem...

From: John R. Call - Boeing, Wichita <B540JC_at_wbv1.sna.ks.boeing.com>
Date: 1996/02/28

> Re: Please help with Oracle connectivity problem...
>
> Ashish Kumar <kumara_at_jagat.com>
> 28 Feb 1996 02:45:22 GMT
> J.T.I.
>
> Newsgroups:
> comp.databases.oracle
>
> James Allan Flagg <jflagg_at_arlut.utexas.edu> wrote:
> >Here's what I have: an HP-UX machine running Oracle7 Server, and a PC
 running
> >Windows NT.
> >
> >Here's what I need to do: use the PC (via ODBC) to send queries to
 and retrieve
> >data from Oracle7 databases on the HP.
> >
> I take it that your server is running SQL*Net of some sort.
> Lets say its SQL*Net for TCP/IP (V1).
> This is what you will need on the PC.
> SQL*Net for TCP/IP (V1).
> ODBC driver for Oracle. You can get it from Microsoft (Its
> bundled with MS Access) or you can use Oracle's, or you can
> spend money and buy it from Intersolv (Supposedly better in
> performance).
> After installing ODBC, from control panel/ODBC create a
> datasource (It is very intuitive). Datasource is kind of
> logical connect string which maps to an actual connect string.
> Use the datasource within your PC application.

If you are using SQL*Net Ver 2, you will also want to modify the tnsnames.ora file in the orawin\network\admin directory to set up the connections to your Oracle instance(s). You also will need to have set up an Oracle userid that is not identified externally to connect with. You can't use the OPS$ externally identified sort of user since you will not have logged on to the database server operating system.

       _/     _/     _/   _/     _/      //  The Boeing Company
      _/     _/_/_/_/    _/             //  Wichita, Kansas
_/   _/     _/    _/     _/     _/     //  b540jc_at_wbv1.sna.ks.boeing.com
_/_/_/ _/  _/      _/ _/ _/_/_/_/ _/  //  These are my opinions only...