Re: Delphi vs Developper 2000 1.2

From: Phil Sewell <sewell_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1996/02/26

There are a number of other middleware products available that can replace SQL*Net, i.e OpenHorizons.

Also the Tuxedo and Encina environments which support XA standard of transaction processing may also be considered for high performance, large user base applications. USoft's Online for Tuxedo is an example of an integrated C/S development environment with native TPM support.

Dave Heissner (dheissner_at_thomtech.com) wrote: : >jeff brown <jabrown_at_cris.com> wrote:
: >I have also heard of two benefits of Delphi (at least in the
: >Client/Server edition:
: >
: >1 - Real-time source data connections during development
: > (ie see your data in development phase)
: >
: >2 - NATIVE Oracle driver (no ODBC, no SQLNet)
: >
: >Has anyone used these features? Any comments?

: What's up with the 'no SQL*Net' comment. I have seen people quote this
: before but how can it be? Any remote c/s conneciton in a 2
: tiered approach, regardless of what tool you're using (Powerbuilder, C++,
: Delphi, VB, Dev2000..) will need SQL*Net running on the client. Unless
: you want to build one of those character based forms apps aka
: telneting... SQL*Net lives.

: Dave H. - dheissner_at_thomtech.com

--

Philip Sewell