Help with Reports 2.0/2.5

From: Dantoco <dantoco_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/02/25

Greetings.

I'm trying to open an Oracle standard report (BOMRBOMS.rdf - Oracle Manufacturing - Bill of Materials Structure report) into Oracle Reports V2.5, however when I attempt to do so (on a Windows 3.1 platform) I get the following error:

REP-0729 - The program unit 'beforerep0051' of size '67290' bytes is too big to be loaded for the current platform at the limit of ''65023' bytes.

Apparently this error is created by a bug that existed in Reports 2.0 where it would let you save a program unit larger that the 64k limit set by Windows. This bug has since been changed in R2.5, however there is still no way to open this report on a Windows (3.1 or W95) platform. Besides running Oracle reports on a server (non-Windows) machine, does anyone have a different workaround?

The MicroSoft help desk was at a loss, and below I will attach a copy of the e-mail message from Oracle Support with a description of the problem and their suggested work-arounds. The problem is that I really will not have access to Oracle Reports on any other platform besides Windows, and I really need to customize this specific standard report. The report is way too complicated to be re-written in the time frame that I have...

If you have any ideas/suggestions, please e-mail them to me at: dantoco_at_aol.com

Here is the attached message mailed to me from Oracle Support. Thanks for your help!!!

Dan Cohen

  1. Soln# 2058836.6 BUG 242972 - WINDOWS LIMITS SIZE OF PROGRAM UNITS TO 64
Solution ID         : 2058836.6
For Problem         : 1010807.6
Affected Platforms  : Microsoft Windows
Affected Products   : Oracle Reports
Affected Components : SQLREP V02.00.XX
Affected Oracle Vsn : Generic

Solution Description:

REP-0729 is occurring as a result of Oracle Reports bug 242972.

There is a 64K size limit on the PC for program units. Because of bug 242972,
Oracle Reports 2.0.X saved a program unit that exceeds this size. This report
will not be able to be opened on the Windows platform.

Upgrade to Oracle Reports 2.5 or above to prevent this problem from recurring.
 Oracle Reports 2.5 will not allow a program unit that exceeds the 64K limit
to be saved.

Workarounds for Bug 242972:

This report will not be able to be opened on the Windows platform because of
the 64K limit. The following are suggestions on how you can recover this report.
  1. Revert to a backup copy of the report that contains a smaller version of the program unit, or does not contain the program unit at all.
  2. If you do not have a backup copy of this report that can be opened, the following workarounds involve opening the report on a non-PC platform like UNIX or VMS which does not have the 64K size limit restriction on program units. You must have a compatible version of Oracle Reports installed on the non-PC platform. See the Oracle Reports release notes for more information on version compatibility.

    Copy the report to the non-PC platform. Then,

  1. Modify the large program unit on the non-PC platform.
    • Open the report on the non-PC platform.
    • Edit the program unit in error as named in the REP-0729 error message that was received on the Windows platform. Separate the large program unit into several smaller program units, so that the size of each program unit will not exceed the 64K limit on Windows.
    • Save the report
    • Copy the new report definition to the PC
    • Open the modified report on the PC

    OR

    b. Open the report from a database on the non-PC platform.

  • Open the report on the non-PC platform.
  • Save the report to the database ( Oracle Reports base tables must be installed to save a report definition to the database )
  • Open the report from the Oracle Reports PC client that is connected to the database on the non-PC platform.
  • Edit the program unit in error as named in the REP-0729 error message that was received on the Windows platform. Separate the large program unit into several smaller program units, so that the size of each program unit will not exceed the 64K limit on Windows.
  • Save the modified report to the file system on the PC 3. If you have the .REX text file version of this report, you can attempt to remove the program unit by editing the .REX file.

    NOTE: editing the .REX file IS NOT SUPPORTED. This should ONLY be done

    if the other suggestions fail to salvage the report.

  • Open the .REX file in a text editor
  • Search for the program unit name in the file
  • Delete the code from the program unit, but leave at least one executable line, even if it is null;
  • Save the .REX file as a new .REX text file
  • Convert the .REX file to a .RDF file
  • Open the .RDF file in the Oracle Reports Designer
  • You can cut and paste the program unit code from the original .REX file into the .RDF program unit. Separate the large program unit into several smaller program units, so that the size of each program unit will not exceed the 64K limit on Windows.

Solution Explanation:

Oracle Reports 2.0.X should not have saved a report containing a program unit
that exceeded the 64K size limit. This problem have been resolved in Oracle
Reports 2.5. Although upgrading to Oracle Reports 2.5 will still not allow
you to open the corrupted report, it will prevent this type of corruption from
recurring in the future.

Additional Information:

Related Bugs:

242972
REPORT WHICH CAN BE SAVED CAN NOT BE OPENED ANYMORE +==+