URGENT>>DBA HELP<< with LISTENER.ORA & TNSNAMES.ORA files

From: Don Williams <Don.Williams_at_dal.ca>
Date: 1996/02/21

Hello all...

In attempts to get my listener running in a Mac environment I decided to manually create LISTNER.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA myself. I have included them in this message below.

Questions:
1) Where should they be placed in the UNIX (AIX) file system?

     I have put them in ....oracle/products/7.2.3/network/ with links to /etc/

2) Can anyone notice any syntax problems with the files?

3) when I start the listener ³lsnrctl start listener² it begins to start then hangs. Any ideas why?

4)Also, does SQL*NET V2 have to be the same for both the client and the server? As the s/w for clients is SQL*NET 2.0.15.0.0D and the server is SQL*NET 2.2.3 in my config?

server: RS 6000 [G30]
unix: AIX 4.1.1
Orcale: 7.2.3
clients: Mac¹s [LC 575]
protocol: TCP/IP
SQL*NET: V2 SQL*NET 2.2.3 Your assistance is greatly appreciated!!!

Config Files
1)listener.ora
# single community configuration

LISTENER=(ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL=tcp)
(HOST=wisdom)
(PORT=1521)

                )

SID_LIST_LISTENER=(SID_LIST=
                                (SID_DESC=
                                  (SID_NAME=FOD)
                                  (ORACLE_HOME=/var/local/oracle/product/7.2.3
                                )
                                 )

# parameters set to defaults
# do not allow any empty spaces on the line before the parameter name

PASSWORDS_LISTENER=
STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER=0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER=10

TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER=OFF
TRACE_DIRECTORY_LISTENER=/var/local/oracle/product/7.2.3/network/trace
TRACE_FILE_LISTENER=listener.trc

LOG_DIRECTORY_LISTENER=/var/local/oracle/product/7.2.3/network/log LOG_FILE_LISTENER=listener.log

2) tnsnames.ora

# contains the names and addresses of all the services on the network # connect descriptor desc¹s the loc of the listener address and SID

FOD_DB=(DESCRIPTION=

                (ADDRESS=

(PROTOCOL=tcp)
(HOST=wisdom)