Oracle for NT problem - read from data file

From: William <whuang_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1996/02/20

I am a developer running Oracle Server 7.0.15.6 on NT 3.5. We have been getting the following error messages in our alert logs:

OSD-04006: ReadFile () failure, unable to read from file (OS 6)
ORA-01115: IO error reading block from file 6 (block #1032)
ORA-01110: data file 6: 'r:\oraroll\abcroll1.dbf'
ORA-09206: sfrfb: error reading from file
OSD-04006: ReadFile() failure, unable to read from file (OS 6)

These errors appear only in the alert logs (never to the client machine) and seem to be random among our rollback segments. We will get errors among different blocks and files, but they are always in our rollback segments. We have taken all of our rollback segments offline and created new ones in a new physical location and still get the same errors. Our database files seem to be okay according the NT. Oracle Support is telling us that Oracle Server thinks the device/rollback segments are offline. The alert logs do not indicate that any of the rollback segments have been taken offline.

One additional variable is that one of our DBAs uses third-party monitoring tools and utilities. I believe the programs being used are Desktop DBA and TS Reorg. Is anyone familiar with these programs? Do these programs record changes to the alert logs if a rollback segment is taken offline or resized?

Our DBA seems to think that this is a hardware problem. As far as I can tell, we have only experienced this problem since the third-party programs have been used. I am concerned that that we will have a database problem as these programs are sometime used while transactions are being processed.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem before?

Thanks,
William Huang / mailto:whuang_at_earthlink.net Received on Tue Feb 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message