Re: ANNOUNCE: Vacant Job Positions

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/02/14

In article <4fms71$nsd_at_news.accent.net> Dylan Ritter <nina_at_infobahnos.com> writes:

>>That's my two-penneth's worth.
>>
>>If you know a better way of assessing someone then just say.
>>
>>Steve
>
>What about showing up with a good WORKING program?
>
>Isn't that some measure of ability ?

That just shows he knows how to copy, or cp as the case may be.

>Doesn't that help to reveal where a persons strengths, weaknesses,
>interests lie ?

No. Only actual behavior in a real work environment can show that. Many people even fool themselves. So a good assesment requires a probationary period.

>Would a well developed program not speak louder than a degree ?

Since my experience covers both the trained and the self-taught, I can say it is very easy to miss the obvious if you teach yourself, especially if you are creative. The degree shows you have at least been exposed to the basics, have at least the minimal ability to follow directions. I am constantly amazed at how rare that ability is.

>My tone is intended to be more inquisitive than suggestive.

Since you are asking, the worst spaghetti code I have ever seen came from the self-taught. As well as the second worst. The third worst came from someone who previously had been an assembler programmer. A hint about appropriate training there.

Modern programming mostly requires discipline and the ability to work in teams. The day of the lone cowboy is past.

I do know a few of the best that are self-taught. They are not the general case. Only one where I would willingly modify his code for pay.

Now there's a metric - how likely others are to want to dig into the code.

jg

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>