Re: RDBMS's and the WWW

From: Roy Hann <rhann_at_tnc.com>
Date: 1996/02/12

On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Colin Fraizer wrote:

> The sales people I have talked to seem to have no idea about this issue,
> so I turn to the net's wisdom:
>
> We would like to use the Web on an intranet to be the front-end to a relational
> database. What licensing is required for the Web client machines? I am
> particularly interested in Informix, Ingres, Oracle, and Sybase.

With Ingres you have several choices. You can buy OpenIngres 1.2 and get Ingres/Web as a standard feature. You can buy OpenIngres/ICE (ICE=Internet Commerce Enabled), which is basically the same thing with a different licence. Or you can use Ingres 6.4 and one of the web interfacing tools from the North American Ingres User Association tool archive.

Since you want this for an intranet I'd guess the first option above will be the best fit.

Roy Hann                                   rhann_at_tnc.com
BKB Engineering Ltd.,                      NAIUA Member-at-Large
11211-76th Avenue,
Edmonton, Alberta                          http://www.tnc.com/bkb
T6G 0K2                                    Tel: (403)497-2409
Canada                                     FAX: (403)436-6055