Re: Cost-based Optimizer

From: <deangup_at_admin.ci.seattle.wa.us>
Date: 1996/02/06

> alc_at_nyx (Alain Cheong Chun Lin) writes:

> some feedback from people who are using cost-based. Is it better ? Can we
> move to cost-based blindfolded ? Are there any situations where cost-based is
> not recommended ?

We're running Oracle 7.0.15 and default to rule-based on advice from the VAR we got our app. from. We use cost-based with hints on an exception basis. We've been warned that some of our app's batch processes give incorrect results with cost-based (apparently it can goof up parsing of some SQL). Also, if you haven't run ANALYZE on a table you'll get a really bad plan. When I've TRUNCATEd a table the ANALYZE statistics on it have gone away, so I have to do ANALYZE again when I load it. On the other hand ANALYZE using the faster ESTIMATE method seems to be adequate.

  • Paul de Anugera, City of Seattle HRIS Project