Re: Hot backup

From: George Dau <gedau_at_mim.com.au>
Date: 1996/01/31

Hadar Paiss <hpaiss_at_netvision.net.il> wrote:

>In article <4ec8pj$5g3_at_news.nyc.pipeline.com>, <utrankar_at_nyc.pipeline.com>
>writes:
>
>> It is a lot easier to setup and manage a script which does begin backup
>> on all tablespaces, backups all and then does end backup on all of them.
>> What is the problem in doing so ? Any downside ?
>>
>The main problem is: what happen if you have system crash in the
>middle , when all your database is in backup mode ?
>
>Only in 7.2 as far as I can remember oracle add command to fix this
>problem - alter ...
>
> Hadar

I have done just this. The table that was in backup mode gets marked "Needs media recovery", and Oracle wont come up. Since we compress our archived logs because of space problems, we have to uncompress a few - recover forward a bit, delete the used logs, and then go forward again.

If you have all the logs there ready from the last checkpoint to the crash, then a "recover database" works. Interestingly the "recover database" is fast, a few seconds; but the "startup" takes minutes in this case. Received on Wed Jan 31 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message