Re: Tablespace Reorg

From: Clive Bostock <clive_at_shimmer.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/01/31

In article <4ebb54$59r_at_norm.uoknor.edu>, "Mark C. Rush" <mrush_at_ocdis01.tinker.af.mil> writes
>How do you reorg a tablespace?
>
>Export all the objects in the tablespace, drop them, then import?
>
>If so, how do you find all of the objects in a tablespace?
>
>I know how to find all the tables, indexes, or clusters in a specific
>tablespace.
>Are the objects stored in a tablespace either tables, indexes, or clusters?
>
>Like in which tablespace are procedures and packages and triggers stored. I
>don't want to export only the tables and indexes and miss exporting procedures.
>
>Is there a way of exporting the contents of an entire tablespace?
>
>I know I should probably buy a utility to do this, but that takes time. If I
>were to buy such software, any recommendations?
>
>Thanks
>Mark Rush
>mrush_at_ocdis01.tinker.af.mil

All elements of the Oracle data dictionary, i.e. those which describe the structures in the database (including triggers, procedures) are stored in the SYSTEM tablespace.

Other tablespaces are used to store the data segments of tables, indexes, clusters, rollback structures.

If you wish to know which objects data is stored in a given tablespace, query the DBA_SEGMENTS table.

Note that the tricky bit in your case is exporting index segments which index columns in a table stored in another tablespace, since you would have to export the table in order to export its indexes. Clive Bostock

Senior Consulant
KPMG (Health Systems) Received on Wed Jan 31 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message