Re: What else to run an OCI app on a workstation?

From: Eastland Chris <chrise_at_shore.net>
Date: 1996/01/31

james.lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov (Lawrence James) writes:

>In article <abb2uDL1rCx.GH4_at_netcom.com> abb2u_at_netcom.com (Al Bledsoe) writes:
>>From: abb2u_at_netcom.com (Al Bledsoe)
>>Subject: What else to run an OCI app on a workstation?
>>Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 02:38:56 GMT

>>Seems you can't just take a compiled program that links in sqlnet
>>libraries and run it anywhere. At least I can't get the thing to run
>>on anything other than the servers that have oracle installed.
>>So, what are the prerequisites? How much does oracle want in their
>>piggy-bank? Is there just a sqlnet install needed perhaps, or some
>>sort of client licence package? How much we be talking?

>I'd have the same expectations. Can you run anyother products, say SQLPlus,
>on the workstation. How about relinking on the workstation, maybe that'll
>tell you what's missing?

>Lawrence....

>>Flabblesticks.

Licensing aside, why can't you take an executable linked with Oracle libs for the target platform and run it on that same architecture anywhere. As long as you have tnsnames.ora etc. set up or a path thereto defined with TNS_ADMIN (assuming V2), you should be all set

We do it all the time Received on Wed Jan 31 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message