Re: GPF in ora7win.dll

From: Jim Gregory <jim.gregory_at_daytonoh.ncr.com>
Date: 1996/01/30

Terry, we're running PeopleSoft Payroll and HR using tools 3.13 and using SQL*Net V2.1 and it's working very well. You might want to confirm that you cannot move to SQL*Net V2.1 ( we had some problems with 2.0 ). Also can you serve sqlnet to your pc's from a file server instead of having it local to each pc? We do this and prevents us from installing/upgrading on literally thousands of PC's.

Also, I believe there's some problem with 7.1.6 ( we're getting ready to upgrade from 7.1.4 ) and the ora7win.dll. I remember something about PS telling us we had to do a rename of ora71win.dll to ora7win.dll to fix the problem. Don't do this without first checking with PeopleSoft because it may not be that simple but I do remember something along these lines is necessary under certain circumstances for 7.1.6 on AT&T boxes anyway.

HTH
Jim Gregory

>==========Terry G. Phelps, 1/29/96==========
>
>I was running along just find with ORACLE 7.1.3 on AIX, and SQL*net
>1.1.7.* on my Windows 3.1 clients. I have two semi-identical databases,
>for production and testing. My application is Peoplesoft Financials, if
>it matters. I upgraded the test database to 7.1.6, did some minor
>testing, and found it seemingly okay. Later, we discovered that some
>function the application is doing, is causing a GPF in ora7win.dll.
>File Manager tells me this DLL is version 7.0.16.2.0, size 272448,
>dated 11/29/93. The GPF occurs at 0001:341d.
>
>The same application function on the old 7.1.3 database works fine.
>Late flash: I've downgraded my 7.1.6 database to 7.1.3, and the
>problem has gone away, so it's definitely RDBMS version sensitive.
>
>I can't tell for sure what the app is doing at the time of the crash,
>but my guess is it's doing an insert of something with about 25
>columns, if that helps any.
>
>Oracle support says, oh, you need to upgrade your clients to SQL*NET
>1.1.9.*, and they'll ship that right out.
>
>Anyone encounter this kind of problem? Do I really need to upgrade 100
>PC's? No, I can't upgrade to SQL*NET 2. The app supports only version
>1. I swear.
>
>Terry

The opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of my employer or clients. Received on Tue Jan 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message