Re: coalescing free space

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/01/30

anderson_at_hg.uleth.ca wrote:

>Steve is correct, Oracle does not coalesce tablespaces whose default percent
>increase is 0. I belive this was to prevent the coalescing of the rollbacks
>and temporary tablespaces, which could have a big performance impact. The
>solution is two fold. 1) do as was suggested above, i.e. set the default
>pctincrease for the tablespace to 0, or 2) you can explicitly request a
>coalesce by issuing an
> "alter session set events 'immediate trace name coalesce level TS';
>where TS is the table space number. You can select the tablespace number from
>the SYS.TS$. TS# is the Tablespace number and NAME is the tablespace name.
>The following script will give you an idea how I use it.

I've tried altering the tablespace and setting the PCTINCREASE value to 1, and to 10. Neither worked. I still have to use the "alter session" command to force it to coalesce. This is happening on all platforms here.

Do I need to drop and recreate the tablespaces for it to take effect?

Platform	Oracle Version
HPUX 9.04	7.1.6
Netware 3.12	7.1.3
Netware 3.12	7.1.4
--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself!