Re: Indexing data warehouses

From: Mike DeVito <mdevito_at_caduceus.chc.org>
Date: 1996/01/29

Data warehouses ARE usually heavily indexed. Often indexes will take up more space on your disk than your data. Of course, this depends highly on your data (cardinality, table structure, etc). It is possible in Oracle for a full table scan to be faster than an index scan, esp if you don't know what the queries are going to look like.

The drawbacks of heavy indexing is that the indexes must be updated or rebuilt when your data is refreshed. This requires memory, temporary space and time.

--
 Michael DeVito                           Compuserve: 74634,3522
 Senior Database Administrator            AOL: MikeDeVito