Re: OCI vs. Pro*C

From: Lawrence James <james.lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov>
Date: 1996/01/25

In article <4d8s4i$msf_at_jake.probe.net> mbrown_at_probe.net (Matthew W. Brown) writes:
>From: mbrown_at_probe.net (Matthew W. Brown)
>Subject: OCI vs. Pro*C
>Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 18:02:40 GMT

>I'm interested in hearing from those who have experience with the
>performance and ease-of-use differences between using OCI and the
>Pro*C precompiler approach.

>Also especialy interested in hearing from those who have used either
>approach from DOS clients.

>Thanks!
>Matt Brown mbrown_at_probe.net
>R&D Team Leader, Data Transmission Network
>CS Grad Student, Univ. Nebraska at Omaha

For ease of use Pro*c is the winner for me. With the precompilers you simply embed the sql statements inside the c. The precompiler turns them into the correct series of calls. OCI, you basically make the calls yourself.

Last time I examined the results of the precompiler the calls generated did not match the oci calls. I don't know if there is a performance difference since I have never benchmarked the two.

Lawrence.... Received on Thu Jan 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message