Re: RAID-5 vs. Disk Mirroring

From: R Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_crabapple.cc.swarthmore.edu>
Date: 1996/01/25

In article <4e6fus$7i7_at_crchh327.rich.bnr.ca>, Brand Hilton <brand_at_bnr.ca> wrote:

Striping out performs RAID 5, but doesn't have the fail-safe advantages unless you mirror the stripe volumes. Striping costs more - more disks, but RAID 5 has a significant write penalty due to the need to write the parity information across the disks.

Oracle files like REDO logs which are written sequentially don't get any performance boost from a RAID or striped system. They are best on their own, mirrored drive.

I have a mix in my database of striped and mirrored volumes. I may go RAID 5 if I can't afford 2x disks for added storage.

If you go RAID 5, get a controller which has a large write cache. Ours has a 32mb write cache - someone told me that 64mb was needed to cancel out the write penalty of RAID 5.

Brad, I'd love to see the information you gathered.

Glenn Stauffer
DBA
Swarthmore College