Re: Index on different tablespace

From: <gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca>
Date: 1996/01/24

> dnguyeb_at_site.gmu.edu (Dong Nguyen (INFT801)) writes:
> Hello,
> I have heard that indexes are read faster if stored in different
> table space. Is this true. If so why?
>
> Doug g

Dong,

I believe it's got something to do with reading the indexes at the same time as retrieving the rows from the table. It probably helps if the datafile that holds the index tablespace is on a different spindle (i.e. different physical drive) than the datafile that holds the table tablespace.

But, I'm not really a DBA, so the answer could be more involved. My answer should be partially correct, though..

Gary Wong (gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca)
Information Technology Consultant
(604) 360-1699 (Voice)
(604) 384-1178 (Fax) Received on Wed Jan 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message