Re: Dropping Dead SQLNET Sessions

From: Geoff Ingram <ingramg_at_boat.bt.com>
Date: 1996/01/23

hz3fmz_at_clc.gmeds.com (Mark Hansen) wrote:
>We have a HP server running HP-UX 9.04, Oracle 7.1.4.1 and SQLNET 2.1.4.1.
>We have set the listener CONNECT_TIMEOUT parameter set as follows:
>
>CONNECT_TIMEOUT_flclcsp1.dbp1=10
>
>Where flclcsp1.dbp1 is our listener name. This is the only
>parameter we found pretaining to dropping dead sessions.
>
>This parameter setting does not appear to be consistently dropping
>dead sessions after 10 minutes of inactivity.

I think CONNECT_TIMEOUT refers to a timeout during the initial handshaking that takes place when setting up a connection. This is not what you want.

>Is there another parameter or a HP-UX 9.04 setting we should change?

As you are using SQL*Net 2.1.1 you should be able to use the generic dead connection detection feature of SQL*Net. You should have a file in network/doc that gives full details of the expire_time parameter required to check connections every few minutes and terminate dead ones.

>Thanks, Mark Hansen

regards Geoff Ingram

All my own personal opinions Received on Tue Jan 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message