Re: READ-ONLY Tables and Views

From: Jim Kennedy <odysscci_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1996/01/20

In article <4dm7n9$7f6_at_hammer.msfc.nasa.gov> robert.goodwin_at_msfc.nasa.gov (Robert Goodwin) writes:
>From: robert.goodwin_at_msfc.nasa.gov (Robert Goodwin)
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>Subject: Re: READ-ONLY Tables and Views
>Date: 18 Jan 1996 19:40:25 GMT
>To: Ellard_at_DMLIS.zynet.co.uk

>In article <4dl8q9$aco_at_sol.zynet.net>,
> Ellard_at_DMLIS.zynet.co.uk (Ross Ellard) wrote:
>>
>> I have a vague recollection that a note was posted in this newsgroup a
>>few months ago talking about an undocumented SQL extension to the
>>CREATE TABLE or CREATE VIEW command that made the respective object
>>READ-ONLY.
>>
>> We have a need to create both types of objects as READ_ONLY objects so
>>can anybody remind me of the original posting?
>>
>I don't know about a way to create a table or view as read-only, but you can
>certainly set up your grants to allow read-only: GRANT SELECT ON ....

>Robert Goodwin |
>New Technology, Inc. |
>Huntsville, AL | robert.goodwin_at_msfc.nasa.gov
You can make a tablespace read only. By default tablespaces are read write (which makes sence). I create tablespaces for static or infrequently updated lookup tables. Such as information that only changes once per quarter. To make the tablespace read only do:

alter tablespace mytablespace read only;

(You cannot have any outstanding transactions on the tablespace) to change it back

alter tablespace mytablespace read write;

Jim Kennedy Received on Sat Jan 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message