Re: Opinions on SOUNDEX function PLEASE !!!

From: Robert G. Schaffrath, N2JTX <rschaffrath_at_kraft.com>
Date: 1996/01/19

Karl Brandner wrote:

> Hello Steve,
>
> The SOUNDEX function is based on an algorithm which was developed
> in 1918. It is explained in 'The Art of Computer Programming, Volume 3,
> Sorting and Searching, by Donald E. Knuth, chapter six, pages 389-393.
>
> The algorithm:
>
> (additional text deleted for space)
>
> Be aware: Each phonetical encoding depends on the language it was
> developed for. We use our own "SOUNDEX"-function because the
> method of SOUNDEX isn't very good for the german language.
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Bye Karl

I also use the SOUNDEX function and I have noticed one particular quirk in regards to the German language. My last name is Schaffrath which, based on the algorithm, has a value of S216. However, Oracle returns a value of S163. What's interesting is that S163 is the same value that Shaffrath returns which some relatives of my relatives changed the spelling to. PC Magazine had a simple program last May that implemented the Soundex algorithm. I modified it to handle the SC problem. Basically, all you need to do check for an SC combination and drop the value for S. We had an employee here with the last name Scoppa who was also effected by this change to the algorithm.

* Robert G. Schaffrath, N2JTX       Systems something or other       *
* (914) 335-2777                    Maxwell House Coffee Company     *
* rschaffrath_at_kraft.com             Kraft Foods Corporation          *
* http://www.mh.wp.kraft.com = not valid outside our Firewall :-(    *