Re: Hiding ORACLE passwords

From: Robert Goodwin <robert.goodwin_at_msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: 1996/01/18

In article <4dmcvf$e5t_at_su102w.ess.harris.com>,

   tgillesp_at_ms13.mis.semi.harris.com (Tom Gillespie) wrote:
>At one time I was told there was a program called hideargs that would
>hide command line arguments from showing up in the output of a 'ps'
>command, thus hiding the password. But now that I'm ready to use it,
>I can't find it, of course.
>
>Does anyone know how to use this utility ? Or another way of hiding
>the password argument of sqlplus ?

Just don't put your password on the command line and let sqlplus prompt you for it. Instead of

        sqlplus username/password_at_database

use

        sqlplus username_at_database

In this way, sqlplus will prompt you for the password and it will not appear in the output from 'ps'. (We were making the same mistake initially.)

Robert Goodwin            |
New Technology, Inc.      |
Huntsville, AL            | robert.goodwin_at_msfc.nasa.gov