help on killing sessions in oracle

From: thx1179 <urass_at_urmama.com>
Date: 1996/01/14

I could use some help and/or advice on killing sessions in Oracle 7.1.

Here's the setup:
Oracle 7.1 NT server
Windows NT 3.51 Workstation running in server mode Several Win 3.11 clients
(we're a small QA group and don't have access to a "real" network system)

The problem:
We're in the process of developing a PB4 app. Every now and then, the app will crash, leaving a session active in Oracle. Now, NT Workstation is limited 10 TCP/IP connections running as a server. Once we crash so many times, all of the ports fill up and no one can log in until I use Session Manager to disconnect a few sessions. I've also started using Server Manager to do this. I noticed that even though I disconnect a session, it stills remains active (but disconnected) until that user of that session tried to query the database again. That is in agreement with the Oracle docs I have handy. Since it was an unexpected application crash that caused this, here's no way to connect to that exact session again to REALLY kill it. (Clear enough???)

The question:
Is it possible to really KILL (and I mean KILL) a session from Oracle, like completely remove it from existance without shutting down the entire DB
(which I find myself doing once or twice a day).

Like I mentioned before, we're a small QA group that doesn't have the resources for a real server and this 10 connection limits coupled with the crashing is eating my lunch.

Thanks in advance for any help. Received on Sun Jan 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message