Oracle vs Sybase

From: Sami Alali <kftcic3_at_ncc.moc.kw>
Date: 1996/01/11

Hi there. We're in the process of developing a trading system for our company. The front end will be done with VB and/or VBA (Access VB). Now, when it comes to a RDBMS, we have a choice of either Orcale or Sybase. We've been offered both at more or less the same cost. The system will be running on SCO Unix SMP on a Compaq Proliant 4500 with dual P133 processors and 128 MB of RAM. The system will be getting live feeds from information vendors (Reuters.....). We expect about 30-35 users to use this system.
Now, I have the feeling that Sybase is faster but Oracle is supposed to be the standard. On both offers we are getting the Parallel Query option to speed up the response.

Any of you out there went thru this excersice lately. I appreciate any comments or help.

Thanks.

  • In an ideal world there are no end users ***
  • too bad we don't live in an idela world. ***