Re: Forms4.5 -- changing record status

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU>
Date: 1996/01/09

Janice,

You've gotten yourself in pretty deep on this one! Not sure of the complete solution, but here's what I know:

You are mixing base-table block processing with non-base-table processing, which guarantees trouble. Since you don't do Execute_Query, the block has no record of the table's rowid, so it can't update the table automatically, no matter what you try.

If you used an explicit cursor or select statement to populate the block, then (I think) the only way you can update the table is to use an explicit update statement. If you are going this route, then you need to include the rowid in your select, and then you can use it in the update. You should also be aware that row locking protection needed for multi-user access is lost when you go this route, and maybe you should include some processing to check for other users changing or locking the record. This is all pretty complex.

So, maybe you should try really hard to populate your block using the default where clause in the block. (Tell me why you can't)

HTH
Steve Cosner

In article <4cug16$a12_at_hubcap.clemson.edu> powell_at_clemson.edu (Janice Powell) writes: <abbreviated>
> In my Form, I populate a block via a procedure rather than just
issuing an EXECUTE_QUERY command....

>Has anyone ever tried to do this? If so, how did you get it to work.
>Also, when does Forms4.5 initally set the record status?

...When you Execute_Query, or when you set an item to a value Received on Tue Jan 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message