Re: What's does oracle have that others don't?

From: Tom Cooke <Tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/01/07

<chop out lots of posts about Oracle vs PC databases>

I agree 101% with what everybody says about the suitability of different databases for different sizes of job. However, have you thought about it the other way? I come from the big database, lots of users, etc. etc. environment, developing character-based applications for dumb terminals. I fully appreciate the heavy-duty, rock-solid nature of large Oracle DB's. Our group is now having to get into the GUI arena, having completed the
"bread-and-butter" business application base, and give the users some
"jam"! This is a culture shock to me - the last time I used a PC seriously
was years ago, apart from occasionally getting a better word processor than WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS and thinking, "Wow, they can do this now!". I'm now working on PO7, Power Objects, a bit of Access, and I'm tempted to think "What do I need all these properties and methods for, I didn't in Forms 2.3?!?!" I guess this is what all the Cobol and hierarchical database people feel like when open systems people taunt them about how much easier relational databases and 4GL's are...

Keep up if you can!

--
Tom Cooke

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever
believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16