Re: ***URGENT**. Populate the List item with a record group

From: Karla Johnson <ab803_at_lafn.org>
Date: 1996/01/06

In a previous article, malays_at_aol.com (MalayS) says:

>Hi,
>
> I am trying to populate a base table LIST item with a record group
>defined during the design time. I have tried all kinds of routines to
>do this but somehow it is not working ( Probably the sequence is not
>correct). Can someone guide me in doing this.
>
>Note : The record group is already defined during the design time.
>
>Replies by mail will be appreciated
>
>Thanx in advance
>
>Malay Shah
>MalayS_at_aol.com

Now that you have a record group defined, you have to define a List Of Values (LOV) to display the contents of the record group. From the Form menu, select LOV and define a New one. Specify that the LOV is to be populated with the results of your previously-defined record group. Refer to the Forms documentation  to see which LOV characteristics you want to employ in your application.  You can also supply column headings to describe the information being shown in the LOV.

To use a List Of Values, you need a TEXT item type, *NOT* a LIST type. Go into the Item property sheet and change the LIST type to a TEXT type. Go to the "back side" of the property sheet (on my Motif platform, you get to the back side by clicking on the horizontal, right-facing arrow icon) and specify that the item is supplied from a LOV. RTFM about TEXT item properties to see how to do this on your platform.

You can elect to display the LOV automatically whenever your user navigates to that item, or you can command its appearance programatically by way of trigger code. You can also allow the user to ask to see the LOV by employing a KEY-LIST trigger (^l on my Unix platform, YMMV).

Karla Johnson

--
Karla Johnson                       |      Internet: karjohn_at_kincyb.com