Re: What's does oracle have that others don't?

From: Your Name <Yourname_at_somwhere.COM>
Date: 1996/01/05

In article <jpanicoDKF9pH.AL2_at_netcom.com>, jpanico_at_netcom.com says...
>: Can anyone tell me what's so good about Oracle? I use dbase IV,
 Foxpro, and Access.

>What Oracle has that the others do not: sophisticated DBA requirements.

Unless it is Oracle RDB... No, really, it depends if you want to risk having your corporate data rely on a PC, or you don't need a REAL database engine to keep up with your data. Can FoxPro or DBASExx have x,000's of users concurrently how about hundreds? I don't think so!! A PC can not have concurrent access of the SAME data, has no clue as to locking etc. Can DbaseIV or FOXPRO have hundreds of GB or even TeraByte databases? Try and manage that!

So, it depends on what you want. Reliability or just something that "seems" to work. Can these engines you mentioned GUARANTEE data stored is the data entered/read?

Mike Austin Received on Fri Jan 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message