Re: Dirty reads in Oracle 7.2

From: Ken Denny <kedenny_at_mail.concentric.net>
Date: 1996/01/05

yogen_at_astro.ocis.temple.edu (Yogen Sanghani) wrote:
>How do I perform "dirty read" in a PL/SQL stored procedure in Oracle 7.2. By
>dirty read I mean that a select should be able to read rows that may be locked
>by any insert/update/delete statements.
>
>Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
>
>----
>Yogen.

My understanding is that as long as you don't have a 'FOR UPDATE' clause in your select that you can read it even if it's locked. If the row has been updated but not committed, you will get it as it was before the update. I haven't had to do this so I'm not sure if my understanding is correct or not, but that's what I recall reading in the Oracle documentation.

Ken Denny
Insight Industries, Inc.
RTP, NC
All opinions are my own and not my employer's. Received on Fri Jan 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message