Re: Running two databases stimutaneously

From: Jim Gregory <jim.gregory_at_daytonoh.ncr.com>
Date: 1996/01/04

>==========warren_at_admin.flarc.edu.on.ca, 1/3/96==========
>
>Can anyone tell me the best way to run to databases located on two
>different nodes stimutaneously. What I want is to access the one and when
>an update is done it immediately reflects on the other database. I
>believe
>I cannot use the Parallel Server because of the different platforms..one
>node being on a vax node and the other is on a alpha node. I am currently
>running oracle 7.1 open vms 6.1 on the alpha and 7.0, 6.1 on the vax. The
>nodes are not clustered. Currently both instances run in exclusive mode.
>Does anyone have any ideas on how to approach this .....
>thanks in advance
>Karen....

Depends on what you mean by "immediate". Without going parallel server ( which is really multiple nodes/instances accessing the same database ) you could have triggers on the master DB to keep the other DB up to date. That is probably the most "immediate" way.

You could also upgrade both instances to at least ORACLE 7.1.4 and use replication to periodically update the target DB. Or you could have the target DB in recovery mode and periodically transfer all archive logs to it to be applied.

HTH
Jim Gregory

The opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of my employer or clients. Received on Thu Jan 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message