Re: Year 2000 problem/easy

From: Rick Rutt <rrutt_at_delphi.com>
Date: 1996/01/02

deng mei <mdeng_at_julian.uwo.ca> writes:

>I have a easy solution for the so called "year 2000" problem:
>If YY < 75(e.g.,), then it is 20YY;
>If YY > 75, then it is 19YY.
>So we got another 75 years to relax.

And what if we want to store birth dates along with expected retirement dates?

An even "easier" solution is to prompt for and store 4-digit years. If you do NOT do this, you are guilty of software malpractice.

To make the user's data entry easier, Oracle Forms has an "RRRR" code for the year, which allows both 2-digit and 4-digit year entry, but stores all 4 digits. For 2-digit entry, it uses a rule like yours, but uses 50 as the cutoff (?).

  • Rick --

(Rick Rutt is a system architect living and working in Midland, Michigan.) Received on Tue Jan 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message