Re: Oracle and Macintosh

From: Michael Kranzdorf <mikek_at_krt.com>
Date: 1995/12/29

In article <edry-2812952234530001_at_192.0.2.1>, edry_at_netcom.com (Ed Dry) wrote:

> Anybody working on integrating Oracle 7.x with the Macintosh? I have done
> some work at a LARGE entertainment firm here in Hollywood where we used
> HyperCard+ListTable+WindowScript. It worked well during the prototype
> stage but I am interested in industrial strenght solutions for an all
> Macintosh desktop environment. Any suggestions?

Below is an excerpt from Apple's Guide to Mac Developer Tools. It came on the November developer mailing CD. It says there is more information at www.info.apple.com/dev or
ftp.info.apple.com/Apple.Support.Area/Developer_Services, but I didn't see this document when I looked. Note that they barely mention Oracle Developer/2000, while Oracle would tell you is their flagship product. I got sick of waiting for the 4.5 release (which has been out on Windows for a year) and am using Oracle Power Objects.

Client/server tools
Client/server tools enable the development of applications on Macintosh and other clients that can communicate to databases such as Oracle, Sybase, Informix, and IBM¹s DB2. The client application talks to the database over the network using an SQL language and appropriate database middleware.

There¹s a variety of robust client/server tools available on Macintosh, including Oracle Power Objects, Omnis 7 3 , and Uniface Five. All these tools are available on multiple platforms, allowing developers to easily create cross-platform client/server solutions. Tools for developing Macintosh client/server applications include:

€ Power Objects from Apple Computer and Oracle This client/server tool provides developers with the ease of visual programming, the tight database integration of a high-end tool, and the productivity of object-oriented programming. OPO enables developers to create objects, then drag and drop them into their applications. It provides high-performance native database connectivity to Oracle7, Sybase and Microsoft SQL Server, and other popular databases via ODBC. It includes a scripting language that is syntax-compatible with Microsoft¹s Visual Basic.
€ 4D Passport from ACI
This client/server solution enables developers to create graphical Macintosh client applications that connect to DAL, Oracle, Sybase, and other SQL database servers.
€ AppleScript with General Knowledge DataScript AppleScript can be used with DataScript database access extensions (from General Knowledge) to easily create highly functional client/server applications. Extensions are currently available for Oracle, Sybase, ODBC, and other databases.
€ Client/Server Environment from Pictorius This completely visual and object oriented development environment enables rapid development of client/server and database applications. It uses the standard Entity Relationship Diagraming technology to build the database schema. Peregrine includes Prograph CPX visual development environment, dtF relational database, and native database connectivity to Oracle7, Sybase and Microsoft SQL Server, and ITI's DAL. € JAM from JYACC
This cross-platform tool enables users to build client/server and three-tier enterprise applications. It¹s unique in that it lets users build applications easily without sacrificing control in complex and performance-critical areas. JAM applications can run unmodified on a wide range of platforms and operating environments, including Macintosh, Windows, Motif, OS/2 Warp, VAX/VMS, and many UNIX implementations. € Uniface Six from Uniface
This graphical client-server development environment enables complex systems to be built quickly, with minimum maintenance costs. It¹s unique model-driven development technology allows commercial and corporate developers to define their applications¹ logic at a high level, making it easier to extended and enhanced an application. Applications built with Uniface adopt the same look and feel of standard Macintosh software. It supports MacTCP and DECNet networking protocols for connection to Uniface PolyServer on remote platforms.
€ Unify Vision from Unify
This graphical client/server development tool is for the rapid development, deployment, and management of complex business applications. It¹s fully-scalable architecture ensures that applications can grow to thousands of users without performance degradation. € Sapiens Ideo from SmartStar
This object-oriented software product for dynamic, cross-platform, SQL application development provides a distributed client/server environment with executable code for both the client and the server. Applications can be developed on any supported workstation with its native GUI and then can be deployed to the desktop without compiling or linking. € SAS System (SAS/AF) from SAS Institute SAS System is a modular, integrated, and hardware independent system for enterprisewide data access, management, analysis, and presentation. Its development environment can be addressed through a task-oriented end user interface, as well as a powerful programming interface. € C/S Elements from Neuron Data
This object-oriented, cross-platform development tool includes GUI development and extensible script language facilities, and provides transparent access to any flat-file or relational database. It enables developers to mix and match data from Oracle, Sybase, Informix, and ODBC-compliant databases. It also enables the building of enterprise-wide client/server applications that are portable on more than 40 platforms. € Developer/2000 and Designer/2000 from Oracle € Omnis 7 3 from Blyth
This application environment facilitates the development and deployment of enterprise-wide client/server applications. With this product, developers can create an application on Macintosh or Windows, then deploy with native GUIs across a wide range platforms, server RDBMSs, and legacy data sources.

€ PowerBuilder from Powersoft (available late 1995)
€ NS-DK/1 FROM Nat Systemes
€ Galaxy VDB from Visix

Michael Kranzdorf                                    mikek_at_krt.com
Kranzco Realty Trust       http://www.krt.com         610.941.9292