Re: OCI & perl

From: Tom Poindexter <tpoindex_at_nyx.cs.du.edu>
Date: 1995/12/29

In article <4c13c2$a51_at_daily-planet.execpc.com>, Milwaukee Tool <metco_at_earth.execpc.com> wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>i've been meaning to learn perl, but I never get around to it, because
>i'm always so eager to get the current task done, that ksh wins over perl,
>because i already know it.
>
>However, now that i hear that there's an animal called 'oraperl' which i
>presume to be perl with an sql extension, i have extra motive to learn
>perl (sqlplus is nice, but let's be serious).
>
>So, how do i get/find/appropriate/buy the OCI needed in order to use
>oraperl? Need i specify "the OCI needed for oraperl", or is there only
>one "OCI"? How do i get/find/appropriate/buy oraperl? The operating
>environment in which i work is SGI's IRIX 5.3.
>
>Thanks for whatever help you lend,

Perl, Oraperl, et.al. are available at any of the Perl archive sites, ftp://ftp.cis.ufl.edu/pub/perl for one.

If you're coming from ksh, you might find Tcl's syntax a little closer to what you have already been using. I've written an Oracle interface for Tcl (Tool Command Language), and it's available at: ftp://ftp.aud.alcatel.com/tcl/extensions/oratcl-2.3.tar.gz.

My Oratcl package includes Wosql, a windowing Oracl SQL processor for X11, written in Tcl/Tk/Oratcl.

As far a OCI, you might already have it if you have Oracle installed at your site. Check in your $ORACLE_HOME/lib directory for libocic.a, libora.a, etc.

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex_at_nyx.cs.du.edu