Re: Oracle headed for Legal Trouble

From: Marianne C. Brooks <mcbrooks_at_mcnc.org>
Date: 1995/12/27

mmadhoun_at_gate.net (Mohamed Madhoun) wrote: snip
>During the course of installation the autoinstaller may install
>modules that are needed for the proper use of the modules you are
>installing. This is usually referred to as SHARED INSTALL.

I think the point Richard was trying to make was that you may select modules to be installed as shared, etc but now autoinstall is creating *all* db objects (tables, views, stored procedures etc) most likely using a 0% sizing factor. In the past, they just installed specific shared objects. Now, they have opted for the thermonuclear installation approach. ;-) I *wondered* why there was SUCH an increase in size requirements for R10.

This is his main gripe with the process. As I understand his original post, by doing this, Autoinstall overwrote a table he had already had in a third party system. Seems this package had the same Oracle username as one of the manufacturing modules and it zapped the table. Very odd. Glancing at my handy dandy 10.5 install guide it says you have to provide the oracle name and password. Richard, is this a correct assessment of what happened to you?

Marianne Brooks
mcbrooks_at_mcnc.org
*My opinions are *MINE* and you can't have any of them!* Received on Wed Dec 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message